In the morning Tali Bamlak and I went, as scheduled, to the U.S. Embassy with Rodney, Michelle and Kazina Hicks where we waited briefly for our respective “interviews” with Vice Consul, Evan Elliot.
After a 5 minute wait, “the Rodney Hicks” family was called to the window for their interview. I lost it. Some people create families in bedrooms and by other means, but this beautiful new family was being created before my eyes in front of window number 4 at the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa .
When Evan signaled to me that it was our turn, Tali Bamlak and I approached and I placed her right on the counter so she could see Evan and vice versa. I was expecting a serious series of questions and to make a formal oath of some sort. Turns out, it wasn’t so much as an interview as a simple formality where Evan asked me one question: had I met Bamlak prior to appearing before the Ethiopian judge? I had, of course.
As a result, Bamlak is being issued an IR3 visa to the U.S. and will become a U.S. citizen, in Kelly Carmody’s words, “when her little tootsies” touch U.S. soil. Several weeks after we get home, we will receive the papers to begin her naturalization process and apply for her U.S. passport.
After the one question, Evan slipped some papers to me under the glass window which included her Ethiopian birth certificate, the adoption contract, a certification of adoption from the Federation Democratic Republic of Ethiopian Ministry of Women, Children and Youth Affairs (MOWA), and the legal judgment of Ethiopia ’s Federation First Instance Court.
Slightly disappointed by the lack of pomp and circumstance at a moment that I have been waiting for more than 3 LONG months, I asked Evan if he was sure that I don’t need to swear to the U.S. government that I am going to love, hold and kiss her for the rest of my life. Evan smiled and said, “nah, we pretty much assume that.”
So that was it!! It generally takes the Embassy a day or so to actually process the visa, stamp it into the Ethiopian passport, and put all the paperwork necessary for U.S customs in a sealed envelop that I then hand deliver to the customs agent on our first point of entry in the U.S. Because tomorrow (Friday) is a national Ethiopian holiday (to commemorate victory over the Italians at Adwa ,) he told us that we, or our agency rep, could pick it up on Monday at 10 am. No problem…we were free and clear!
To celebrate, we did as most normal humans would do, we went shopping!!
J. Mo met us at the Shiromeda outdoor market and she and Michelle and I had fun trying on traditional clothes, picking up souvenirs and enjoying a few hours outside while Mengi and Rodney were DREAM daddies: holding, feeding, diapering 2 of the cutest new (female) American immigrants you have ever seen.
We planned to have a goodbye party at the hotel at 2 pm so we headed for home and started to get ready for the festivities. J. Mo went to take a shower and I got a phone call from Mr. Alemu, our lawyer, asking to speak to “Sarah Morris” (her name is actually Jennifer Morris and her husband is Tom Sarah but it will probably always confuse people). I knew that it was likely about the visa interview appointment so I walked right into the bathroom and put the phone to her ear while she was all soaped up and shaving her underarms (yes, that represents a whole new level to our relationship.)
Sure enough, Mr. Alemu was telling her to come “right away” to the Embassy for their appointment as their documents had arrived in that morning’s mail from USCIS in Nairobi . Within 15 minutes the entire Sarah family, with the boys in their white traditional party outfits, was in a taxi to the Embassy and within 45 minutes they were back at the Semien, having passed the interview successfully, to CELEBRATE with us!!
We wanted to have a party for our Semien hotel friends as well as for the community of wonderful people with whom we have shared our lives for the last months. There were chamber maids and doormen, cooks and waitresses and managers. Bami was passed around lovingly for 3 hours strait and smiled the whole way through. For the party she donned a very special new outfit that Aunt and Uncle Pastry (aka Rahel and Mengi) bought for her Simchat Ha Bat (July 13-14 in Denver ). You will see in some of the pics below that she looks like she is wearing make up. And she is. Those crazy babysitters!
My beautiful traditional dress was a gift from the very sweet and generous Mr. Mark Wright who saw something similar in an Ethiopian fashion magazine and had it designed and stiched by Richo at the Sheraton. I got a lot of compliments from my Ethiopian friends and was assured that it was indeed, the very latest in Ethiopian fashion. Thank you, Mark!!!
Fabulous Fitsum brought over 15 pizzas, terrific Tedi bought over delicious pastries from his favorite bakery and the hotel provided a traditional buna ceremony to mark the occasion. It was a GREAT party.
J. Mo and I told the crowd how much they all meant to us and how they each helped us along the way. I cried (shocker) when telling the hotel staff that they will always be a part of our Ethiopian experience and that when I tell Bami about our time together in Ethiopia , the Semien hotel and its personnel will be a big part of that. I promised to come back to visit in future years.
I acknowledged Dr. Rick (who was in the back of the room on his laptop sending pictures of a new patient to his network of angel doctors abroad) and his family for being our Ethiopian family with whom we celebrated almost every single Shabbat. I acknowledged our new American friends, Shaun and Steve, the JDC Jewish Service Corps who are two AWEOME young men and promising future doctors. I was also honored that Fikru, one of Tali Bamlak’s special Ethiopian uncles, left his painting studio in the middle of the day to come and celebrate with us. (He also gave TBK and I some VERY beautiful gifts.)
Toward the end of the party, two MORE incredible things happened.
First, two professional musicians of traditional Ethiopian music showed up and played some songs for us.
I had met Tewodros Tafesse a few weeks prior through Trish, another adoptive parent, attended a performance and subsequently ordered a few custom designed and made instruments to have on Vrain St . I did not plan for him to show up with them in the middle of the party, but he did, and then played for us even calling his friend the professional flautist to join him. An added treat: Fitsum dancing!!! (wait for it to come out on video).
Second, at the tail end of the party -- when it was basically just the adoptive families left--the elevator opened out walked a beaming Mr. Alemu with…get this…
ALL OF OUR PAPERWORK AND PASSPORTS
You could have heard the screams of delight all the way in Awassa. Mr. Alemu happened to be at the Embassy that afternoon for another case and ask them about our “stuff” and they were just putting the finishing stamps on the envelopes so he was able to “finish the job” -- right then and there.
And as if that wasn’t enough for one day, we had one more thing we really wanted to do when we officially finished the adoption process. The five adoptive parents, and our two Ethiopian brothers, took Evan Elliot out to dinner.
The Addis Embassy adoption team processes over 2,500 adoptions a year (!) and that takes lot of focus, hard work and many 12 hour days. We truly appreciated Evan’s impeccable professionalism, responsiveness and sensitivity during our process and we were glad to get to meet the real life person as well.
Evan just turned 30 and is on his first long-term overseas post for the State Department after doing NGO work in DC and getting a graduate degree from Denver University . Very intelligent and knowledgeable about Ethiopia , he is a down to earth, NICE, NICE guy which is not surprising since he is Colorado-bred (Leadville.)
We chose Sangam, a well-established Indian restaurant, and our waiter (in photo) has been serving there for “38 years and 9 months.” Over the years he has recommended the Saag Panner and Tandoori Chicken to many, many intriguing people besides us, including Emperor Haile Selassie.
I guess the only thing left as way of update is that Eric finally made it safely home to Denver after a travel journey that included delays, cancelled flights, trips to hotel for a 3 hour nap, rerouting, hour long distance phone calls with airline representatives, etc. If I am not mistaken, it took him over 45 hours to get home. Trooper.
On a happier note, SRK was caught on camera at @10 am West coast time boarding a flight in MedFord , OR at the very beginning of his long journey here. We can’t wait to pick him up tomorrow night in Addis!
Love and Goodnight from Addis,
I cried through that whole post. One correction: You waited a lot longer than 3 months for that moment! So happy for you both and for all of us who will get to know her.
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful and such an amazing moment to sum up your brilliant experience... I am beyond happy for you... all of you!!!! Safe travels home!!!!
DeleteJ
So amazing how the life of one can bring so many together. Many blessings and more love and laughter to Tali and Mama Jen for many years to come!
ReplyDeleteJen, I'm so happy for you. I was so hoping to be there with Violet for my birthday (March 1st, your embassy date), but maybe someday soon. You are truly the most amazing person. I've really enjoyed reading your blog, you've definitely made plenty of friends along your journey. You will have so many wonderful stories to tell Tali Bamlak when she grows up. I'm so very, very happy for you.
ReplyDelete