On Monday, J. Mo and I got our Ethiopian visa's renewed at the Ministry of Immigration. It took 4 hours and a lot of shuffling between bureaucrats, but we are now legal. My visa was going to expire at midnight and J Mo, as it turns out, has been here 7 weeks without a visa. Crazy Momma.
On Tuesday, Tedi came by for lunch and had a nice visit with Tali Bami. He is currently hiking and camping with our friend Shaun in the Semien mountains. Can't WAIT to hear about that and see the pictures of the baboons!
Also on Tuesday, Fikru invited me to join him in very special encounter. He got to meet and visit with the young man whose life-saving spine surgery the donation of his painting sponsored. The boy is 11 and his name is Tensaye. His name means "resurrection" and his mother told us, with deep gratitude and emotion, than her son has been transformed.
This morning Nurse J. Mo accompanied Bamlak and me to the private Korean Hospital where we were lucky enough to be seen by a pediatrician right away. We were concerned about a little abscess on TBK's left upper right arm which began to puss, but he reassured us that it is a normal reaction to a TB vaccination that she received many months ago. He also looked in her ears with an otoscope (finally...hallelujah,) weighed her and listened to her chest. According to this lovely doctor, her tummy may be a bit bloated because of air from the bottles but it is NOT parasites and she is, overall, a VERY healthy baby. "Thanks to G-d," as our Ethiopian friends say.
And in the afternoon, we had a long overdue day trip to the pool at the Sheraton. Little did I know that it was Azeb and Rahel's very first swimming venture, and Tom and a lifeguard spent several hours teaching them each how to swim. It was magical to watch their delight of being in the water.
While we were playing on towels, Tali Bami rolled over by herself for the very time!!
This was Tali Bami's SECOND swimming adventure and she was very relaxed in the water and had a blast with Rahel and Fitz.
Thanks to Sarah Owens for our stylish swimsuitl!!
A very fun day was had by all!!
Love and Goodnight from Addis,
--Jen and
I don't know how I missed the picture of Bami in her suite the first time I saw this post, I was looking back to find the picture of Bami in her Ethiopian dress so I could see how to do the girls head-dresses, and came across the picture of her in the suite! So glad she can get use out of it!
ReplyDelete