Sunday, February 12, 2012

International Relations

Tali Bami and I were on JDC duty today getting ready for a dinner party at Fikru's for the JDC board and other important guests.

This was our office:



Bami's job was to keep the garden beautiful.  She did an OUTSTANDING job, don't you think?




All that playing and laughing can make a girl sleepy, however.  She napped soundly for almost two hours and even the flies and snorting donkeys outside the compound didn't upset her slumber:

 
the JDC-Fikru connection is that last November he met Rick and was so inspired by what he does that he donated a significant painting to JDC.  The proceeds of the sale of that painting enabled three of Dr. Rick's patients to have spine surgery.  The party was a way for the JDC board to show its appreciation to Fikru.  His home also turns out to be a lovely venue for a party!

Bami spent most of the party upstairs with Rahel and Azeb but towards the end she made an entrance to the delight of everyone.  She reveled in the attention and I might have to hire paparazzi to come around Vrain Street just to ease the transition. 

Here she is hobnobbing with no less than 3 Ambassadors to Ethiopia.  From left, the U.S.Ambassador, Trish Ulhman of the JDC Board, the Israeli Ambassador and, holding TBK, the Australian Ambassador.



Sadly for us, the American Ambassador didn't happen to bring his visa stamp with him to dinner, but he is a very nice man and I promised to let him know when we do finally get our visa and head for home.


Since I know my Mom and Aunt are together right now in Ft. Worth, TX, I want them to know that I can HEAR their conversation:

Mom: "What is that "shamta" (rag) she is wearing? 
Eileen: "There is that tacky watch band again."

So, in my defense, I just want to say that the shmate is called a "natella" and it was a gift that I received earlier tonight from my beautiful babysitters.  When I wear it, people think that I am actually Ethiopian. 

The watch, as it turns out, is a favorite toy of all three babys.  OK, now you can go back to kvelling about TBK:)

Love and Goodnight from Addis,
--Jen and Tali Bami

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen,
    Nice to see you and your beautiful daughter! Hope to see you soon, let me know if there is anything in the world I can do to be helpful to your journey either there or from here!
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete