Monday, November 28, 2011

Looking at pictures

Welcome home, Dorrie and thanks for the awesome post!!  We miss you!!!!

Today Bami and I looked through the photo book that Doda D so lovingly made for her.  There are pictures of herself and our first day together with Dorrie, as well as pics of so many of you!!  Because she is so brilliant, she will surely know all your names by the time we get home.  She is incredibly observant, attentive and loves to be stimulated by talking, reading and looking at people, trees, pictures, etc.  And she is SO good natured and easy-going.  The only time she cries is if she is hungry and they do a great job of tracking her feedings and having bottles ready.  My job at this point is simply to hold her and love on her.  And, unlike my brothers, and she has not once asked me to stop singing (and yes, even songs from Annie.) 




A few more families have shown up and each one is a story unto itself.  A young couple from Portland arrived yesterday and today they met their twin 7-month-old boys for the first time!!  Since the boys are in the same baby room with Bamlak, I have been playing with them all week and have been especially sweet on Kebede.  He still has his chicken pock scars but reaches up and smiles every time he sees you and wants to hold your hand all the time.  His brother Abebe is a bit more reserved but they are a wonder.  These are their first children.



Another couple is Allan and Monica from southwestern Illinois, near St. Louis.  They are 40 and 38 respectively and have three children at home, two girls ages 8, 6 and a little boy who is 5.  They have been in this process for almost 2 years. 



Their new son, Edossa, is about 3 years old and was just brought from the Mati Orphanage yesterday to the foster home and is having a tough time with the transition.  When he first met his new mom and dad, he was quite upset and even spit at Monica.  Today, as we all hung out in the family room, I saw some definite progress as Edossa let Allan share his crayon, took treats from Monica and began to make eye contact with them.



This couple is totally devoted to children and seems to really have the parenting thing down.  (I can actually see calling Monica for parenting advice sometime.) This child, as tough as it is now for him, is going to have everything he needs to thrive.  I wish the whole family strength on the journey.



Not great news from the judge today.  She decided that because Bamlak is healthy now, there is no reason to expedite her court date.  I have discussed what to with Mr. Alemu and will go see the judge in person tomorrow and see if she will change her mind.  I have no experience with such things but I figure that if I bring Bami’s picture and the judge sees how darn cute she is, she will certainly change her ruling.  In any case, I figure I have nothing to lose by trying.



The U.S. Embassy was closed Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving so I am going to go there tomorrow and make myself known and try to light a fire under them.  Maybe I should start singing?!?!!??!

1 comment:

  1. Try a little West Side Story or Grease. That should do it for sure. xoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete