Biftu is located in the Sari neighborhood of Addis, about a half hour from the foster home. Jennifer and Tom, from Denver, brought several suitcases of formula, clothes, diapers and other goods that they had collected among their friends and relatives.
The orphanage was started 2 years ago by Tariq, a 34 year old mother of 4 sons. I asked her what her motivation was and she said that she has always loved babies and saving them was her dream. The young man who works with her is Mordekai--her younger brother. I asked if their parents were proud of them and they both smiled.
We toured the facility which is very clean and well run. They have about 50 children now, 40 babies and 10 older children. The also provide scholarships to 120 children who live with their families but are too poor to pay school fees. Some of the money also goes to educate women who are living with HIV. The orphanage is private and funded, at least in part, by the fees that the adopting families pay to the adoption agency.
We were shown the beds where our babies where in when they lived there and the Nannys remembered each and every one of our children with obvious love and affection. When we showed them recent pictures, they kissed the pictures. There were a lot of tears and hugs.
I learned a lot more about Bami's history including where she was abandon, who found her, who she was with, who gave her her beautiful name (it means "By G-d" in Amharic,)who brought her to Biftu, etc. Every question and answer is a puzzle coming together and this puzzle carries a lot of weight. At this particular moment in time, I am feeling like these details belong to Bami--they are her story--and when she is old enough, I will share them with her. She can then decide if and how she chooses to share them. All I will say is that the people that I met today saved her life and, I believe, with all my heart, that they are motivated by compassion, love and belief in G-d.
Jennifer (the other one) had the phenomenal idea of having Tariq and Mordekai write letters to each of the babies and they did so. These two letters will be Bamlak's when she is old enough.
After our tour we sat around and chatted while we were treated to Buna, the traditional coffee ceremony which is done for special guests and momentous occasions. Over coffee I asked Tariq what items are needed most and she mentioned two: a copy machine, to keep the records safer and more orderly, and a washing machine. I am going to find out tomorrow how much each of these items costs here in Ethiopia and my hope is that we (myself and the other families) can raise the full amount to get both items to them before the end of the year. When I figure out our fundraising goal and the best way to procced, I will let you all know.
Tomorrow (Tuesday) is our big day in court and I am a bit anxious and hoping for a smooth process with no surprises. Please cross all fingers toes and anything else you can think of!
Thanks and love from Addis,
--Jen
B'sha'a tovah, my friend!
ReplyDeleteJenn and Bami... Best of luck tomorrow!!! Jenn, I love, love, love the blog. What a great gift you will have one day for your BEAUTIFUL daughter. This time over in her country of birth is so wonderful...that said..we can't wait to have you home! Can't wait to hear how tomorrow goes!! XOXO Beth
ReplyDeleteHi Jen. Found your blog by random Google. We are embarking on our 2nd adoption from Ethiopia and new little one is also from this orphanage. Would love to ask you about your travels to this regiion once we know when we come ot court and when you life settles down after you return home. Congratulations. Amy FitzGerald, Raleigh, NC
ReplyDeleteHello! Nice story. This year I will have to go to the Biftu Orphanage as well to get my wonderful child! I dont know the date yet. I hope it will be as soon as possible because I really miss her! :) If you want to be in contact with me or if you want to give me any advice I would relly appreciate that my e-m-ail is: fraptt-at-gmail dot c o m
ReplyDelete