Tali Bami may hate me someday for posting the following photo but is shows her little chicken pox.
We weighed her because she had diarrhea lately and sure enough she is losing a tiny bit of weight. Last week she was 4.75 KG and today she was 4.5 KG. The doctor saw her and said told Sister that the nannies have to do a better job of reporting diarrhea and other health related issues to the medical staff.
I told the doctor that she seems to eat and sleep well and she was glad to hear that but she recommended pediatric electrolytes and that Bami should be given more bottles. In the afternoon I went to put her in her crib and there was one nanny in the room with no less than 9 babies. I ended up staying after visiting hours and feeding her myself because I was concerned about how and when she would eat again.
As lovely as the people are, this is no place for a baby to thrive. There are too many illnesses around without the medical and sanitary standards that we would want and expect. All the parents want to get their babies home as soon as possible and it is very hard for the parents who have to leave after a week’s visit and not know when they will be able to come back (for Embassy) and take their babies home.
Mr. Alemu was on the road today bringing a baby from the South but he said that tomorrow his office should have Bamlak’s Ethiopian passport and birth certificate—the documents necessary to start the Embassy process. At least that is what I THINK he said. The connection was poor and I have a difficult time understanding his accent.
The other thing that I THINK he said that I can actually take her out of the foster home now—I am her custodial parent. This is something that I need to discuss with him in person. Since we have AT LEAST 3 more weeks here, I want to ensure that I have the necessary medical support to feel comfortable taking care of TBK 27/7 in Addis Ababa . The other adoptive moms were very supportive and helpful as we discussed this this afternoon and they made some great suggestions.
On the other hand, YAHOOOOOOOOO—we COULD begin our life together!!
To be continued…..
Good night from Addis,
--Jen
No comments:
Post a Comment