Saturday, December 17, 2011

Lunch and Shopping

Shabbat dinner at Rick’s was fun as usual and Tali Bami was pretty much the star of the show.  In honor of her first Shabbat, she wore the cute outfit that Gimme/Bubbe bought her at the Carbondale consignment shop.  Sorry I don’t have a picture of the full get-up, but this is us on our way out with our favorite bellman.






The regular Hodes household was present which means approximately 14 youngsters and a few adults, as well as a handful of guests, mostly doctors and visiting medical students.   One orthopedic surgeon visiting from CT has been to Africa 14 times operating on spine patients.  This is a self-funded hobby.  He was very sweet about Bami and he reminded me of Karen’s sentiments: “don’t blink”.  He told me, wistfully, that the next thing you know they are 18 and off to college.



Because I don’t want to subject Bami to the movies Rick’s kids enjoy, I will not be joining the weekend movie fun but I am happily sponsoring it (for a whopping $35).  The kids really enjoy going, are very appreciative and the mall is within walking distance to the house. 



Today Bami and I hung low in the morning and she was her regular alarmingly charming self.  At about 11 am I called in reinforcements and our maid, Masrat, came in to help me bathe the muchkin.  I really think this made Mastrats day--it certainly was helpful and calming to me to have her there.



Our adventure today was lunch at an art gallery and shopping.  I bought a painting and Bami got some new clothes.  You can see our loot below and that she reacts to shopping the same way I do:




We have now looked at 4 guest houses and I am pleased with the last one that we visited: Yebsabe.  It is more costly than the Semiem but caters to adoptive families, has wireless access in the rooms and is in a more centrally located area with what to see, buy and eat within walking distance.  While we were there visiting today, I saw two young American women with their Ethiopian babies heading out for a walk.  Refreshing. I have to thank Jennifer Morris and Tom Sarah (from West Denver) for the Yebsabe tip and for Mengistu, their driver, who is very professional, sweet and caring.  I haven't decided for sure if/when we will move but I am mulling it over.



Since we are all shopped out, these 2 crazy gals are hanging IN this Saturday night.    We are SO grateful for all your notes, love and support and can’t wait to get home!!



Xoxoxo,

--Jen and Tali Bami


No comments:

Post a Comment