Try this little jingle to the tune of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and you’ll get the gist of Chanukah.
“Judah Macabee was our solution,
To religious hate and persecution,
He led the Jews to victory”
Sadly, that MIGHT be extent of what I remember from Hebrew school.
I would like to thank two little Judah Macabees--Oliver Ansel Kraft inMedford , OR and Jacob Davis Lieman in Denver , CO-- for being AWESOME heroes this Chanukah!!
I would like to thank two little Judah Macabees--Oliver Ansel Kraft in
OK, back to SUREALTY. Today we had lunch with two other adoptive families which was nice. One is Paula, the mother of Betselot, and the other is Jamie and AJ Fink.
This YOUNG couple has a biological daughter, son and a third daughter who was adopted two years ago from Ethiopia . They are here meeting their 2 beautiful new sons, Sena and Mohammed!!!! Incredible. AJ is about to go off on a 3-day adventure to the home towns of each of their babies to see if he can find out anything about their backgrounds and bring back information videos, etc. that he can show them when they are older. I cannot WAIT to hear about that!!
After a long and wonderful afternoon nap, (yes, I patook,) we ventured out to buy some bottled water. As we were crossing the street, one of our taxi drivers saw us and came over to see if we need a ride. Nope, just walking to the market, I said.
This reminded me of a story from India with Elizabeth . One morning we were getting into a taxi to go to the JDC office and we were in the middle of a conversation and neglected to tell the driver where we were going. The next thing we knew, we were in front of the office. How many millions of taxis are there in Mumbai and we got into the same one twice?!?!? After a short reflection, we realized that two fair-skinned American women in the neighborhood probably did NOTHING that went unnoticed and discussed by everyone. Good to remember!!!
Bami and I wandered into a tiny neighborhood “mini market”/grocery and it smelled like fresh juice so we made ourselves comfortable. While I was enjoying my OJ, I chatted with another customer, Alemu, who turns out to be a physician visiting from a far southwestern city. He was lovely and highly recommended the avocado juice. Maybe that will be tomorrow’s adventure!
Love and Good night from Addis,
--Jen and Tali

No comments:
Post a Comment