“Oliver wants to sunbathe like his cousin TBK!!! He's lying on the living room floor like "all the Tali Bamlaks"!
I sure miss that little boy!
There have been a lot of milestones so far in my adoption journey:
July 2010-I began working with Denver-based, A Love Beyond Borders as my adoption consultant, and participated in a multi-visit home-study evaluation by a social worker over the course of the summer.
March 30, 2011- My dossier was sent for authentication at the U.S. State Department and then to the Ethiopian Embassy in Washington , D.C.
April 27- My dossier was registered with the Ethiopian attorney employed by Adoption Avenues—my adoption agency.
August 23—REFERAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 22-Doda D and I met TBK for the first time
December 6-We“passed court,” giving me legal custody of TBK and
December 14, TODAY, I TOOK PHYSICAL CUSTODY OF HER!!
Yes, she is here with me in my hotel room, sleeping soundly as I blog. It feels a bit surreal at the moment but great, nonetheless. You mean I don’t have to give her back at the end of the day?!?!?
I spent the morning at Mr. Alemu’s office going over the paperwork needed by the U.S. Embassy. I also discussed with him my desire to take Bami but my concern about on-going medical support. “Do not worry, Jen, we will fully support you while you are here.” Well OK then!
Eshetu, the agency driver, then took me to buy a few supplies. I had brought from the U.S. diapers, wipes, bottles, a changing pad and some clothes, but I needed formula, bottled water and wanted some sort of blanket for her to lie on. 200 birr later (about $35) we were off to the Embassy!
It took exactly one hour at the Embassy and I joyfully walked out with my notarized 1600 Form--the petition to classify an orphan as an immediate relative. Mr. Alemu needs this to submit with her file next week.
On Friday we expect to get her Ethiopian passport back from immigration and after that I will go over the paperwork with the agency’s “document man,” Mr. Shleshy (seriously.)
Eshestu then picked me up and we made a B-line for the foster home. Even though I had called Sister earlier in the day that I was coming going to take Bami and that we would come on Friday to see the doctor, it was still hard for her to “lose one.” I did not make a big deal of our departure as we will be back to visit a lot, but the two Sisters still gave Bami lots of kisses with tears mixed in. They truly love her and each one of their “babies.”
When we got back to my home away from home, the Semien Hotel, the doorman who greeted me when I first checked in Nov. 28, was on duty. At that time, he saw my umbrella stroller and he asked me if I have a baby. When I said “yes,” he was surprised. Every time after than he has asked me,” how is Bamlak?” And today he got to meet her and touch her gorgeous cheeks—that was fun!
The rest of my time in Ethiopia will certainly be different now. No more wild partying, running off to restaurants, movies, day spas (I seriously found a great shvitz here, ladies, you would approve!!), etc.--its Bami time. BRING IT ON!!!!

Okay so first off... your daughter is beautiful and I love her name!!! Secondly, I was directed to your blog via Monica who was in country just after Thanksgiving for court! My husband and I are traveling to Ethiopia for our court date on December 23rd. I am considering staying in country after court until embassy so your blog is an amazing glimpse of what may be... We have three kiddos at home (2 bio babes and 1 Ethiopia princess we adopted in 2009) and we are adopting two little guys both at the AA Care/Foster Center... Looking forward to meeting you when we arrive on the 19th! My email is j_gumieny@yahoo.com!
ReplyDeleteHooray Mama Jen!!! So glad little Tali with you!
ReplyDeleteChrissy
So happy for you both! God bless us everyone! :)
ReplyDeleteOliver will be soaking up that vitamin D with Tali very soon! So happy for you both...can't wait to meet your beautiful daughter!!! Love you both, Paula
ReplyDelete