Thursday, December 15, 2011

Our first night


Surreal.  You mean I really get to keep her?!? SERIOUSLY?!?!?  Do other new parents feel this way?!?!?!?



We managed just fine our first night.  We were just hanging out, I had just finished my room-service fish sandwich and French fries and at about 8 pm I got the brainstorm that there might be an actual bedtime.  Hmmm, what a concept.



So, after a 210 ml bottle, a healthy belch and a diaper change,  I bundled her up, tucked her in on the other side of the king bed and turned out the lights.  She whimpered a little, but I reminded myself that she is an orphanage baby that she is used to going to sleep on her own every night.  Sure enough, by the time I was finished brushing my teeth, she was sleeping soundly.  



Since Terminator 2 wasn’t doing it for me, I closed my eyes and the next thing I knew, it was 11 pm.   Apparently, TBK’s tummy wakes her up @ every 4 hours: 11 pm, 3 am and 7 am.   She is, thankfully, a great eater and sleeper.  Just like me.



Around 9 am we ventured into the hallway to visit with the chamber maids and they just ate her up.  One of them kept coming back to hold her, kiss her and even changed her diaper when I was brushing my teeth.  Despite the language barrier, I know that she has an 8 month old baby at home.



At about 12 pm we went downstairs for lunch (mine).  She did great sitting in the umbrella stroller while I ate.  After lunch I tried to sit in the lobby to check my e-mail but for some reason I couldn’t connect.  I fed her another bottle while she caught up on the news on Al Jazeera which was showing live coverage from Bagdad of the Iraq war-closing ceremony.  I am sure that the U.S. government would be pleased that one of its newest citizens is staying on top of current events. 




We are back in our room now and she is napping again.  We may venture out to see if I can find some onesies.  Ironically, I brought bags of gently used baby clothes but gave them all to the foster home and now my supply is very limited.

Just checked my email and got so many notes--thank you!!!   My on-line time is now limited so pleae fogive me if I don't respond to each of you immediately.

Love from Addis,
--Jen and Tali Bamlak

4 comments:

  1. Hooray Jen!! So glad you are together now!
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is fun to follow and a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Michigan. Julia & I are reading everything.
    I spoke with your mom yesterday. I'm sitting here in total amazement!
    Shabbat Shalom! I can't wait to see you and your little girl in person!!
    Safe travels

    ReplyDelete