Saturday, December 10, 2011

TBK


In an adoption, there is a revered document called a REFERALL that we pine for, wait for and that changes our lives forever.  It is the document that makes a match between a particular child and a parent.  We leave that match up to the universe and the magic is that, in my personal experience and in my observations, it creates an inexplicable immediate love connection. 



My referral came on August 23 and was a very emotional experience.  I have wondered if it is like finding out you’re pregnant and delivering a baby all at the same moment.  You go from being a person who thinks, dreams, writes checks and fills out paperwork, to an awe-struck, love-sick parent, in a single second. 



Jim Angell was my witness and he assures me that I reacted a like any new parent: overwhelmed hysterical happiness. 



In Bamlak’s referral document there were a few (very few) vital statistics:  her name, estimated date of birth, health status and a small picture.  The first thing I saw on that page was her name: Beamlak.  I have since leaned that the Amharic name is Bamlak but that some phonetically pronounce her name, B’e amlak, hence the spelling Beamlak. 



Seeing Beamlak on the page, however, made my heart skip a beat.  Many years ago I gave my beloved maternal grandmother the nickname “Beamie.”   I was teasing her by combining her first name, Eamie, with that of my dear paternal grandmother, Bella.  That little joke stuck, however, for more than 20 years.  So even before my eyes caught sight of the beautiful creature in the photo, I felt the presence of both of my grandmothers in this incredible moment.



Bamlak is Amharic for “by G-d.” Since coming to Ethiopia, the meaning of the name Bamlak has deepened for me.  I have discovered who named her and how perfectly it reflects her unique experience.



I also witness the obvious love and affection with which she is addressed many times a day by her nannies and all the good people who have been her first family.  I love the sound, the intonations and all the pet names they have for her: Bamlak, Bami, Bamieh, Bam Bam, Bamita or Bamu.  This morning Bami and I were standing at the top of the stairs when all the nannies were filing in and each one greeted her with a different nickname and lots of kisses.  She was all smiles!!!



But, like any parent, I also want to give Bamlak a name that reflects my experience of her, connects us together, to my family, our heritage and to the life that we will build together.  I wanted the name to be Hebrew and one that would be easy to pronounce, spell and be a perfect fit with Bamlak.



So, I consulted with my dear Israeli friend, Yael Kalchiem Fink, who consulted with her brother-in-law, husband and possibly the entire extended family, and even sent me source material (!!!).  We came up with a BEAUTIFUL name that, I believe, suits her well:



Tali



The word tal is Hebrew for dew and dew is a source of goodness that G-d gives to humanity.  While in Hebrew liturgy rain is often connected with the merits of the People of Israel, dew is always, unconditionally and abundantly provided.  It is a gentle source of life and blessing.



May Tali Bamlak continue to be protected and reflect G-d’s blessing.  





Love from Addis,

--Jen

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful name, beautiful picture, and a beautiful family you will have together. We are all so very excited to meet Tali in person. Thinking good Embassy thoughts for you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You had me at Tali"! What an inspiring name for her and a beautiful tribute to your grandmothers. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a wonderful photo. Mazel tov. What an incredible journey (for both of you!)

    jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful name. Such a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete