Sunday, January 15, 2012

Church and Culture

We went to church today with Meherat and the dynamic young preacher turns out to be her nephew!! The service was all in Amharic but I did manage to understand two words which were repeated often: Yesus and Amen. Bami started to get “shpilkes” (antsy) after about a 1/2 hour, so she and I excused ourselves and waited for Meherat at a local coffee shop. When she got out, her brother and sister and a cousin came to join us and we had a bite to eat.

I enjoyed another Italian film tonight, this time on my own, and then Fikru picked me up and we had a fabulous Italian meal at Avantu, near the airport. We talked about life and G-d’s plan for us all. Fikru believes that G-d intended Bami and I to be together. I told him that sometimes I wonder what Ethiopians think when they see me with her (i.e. another ferengi taking away one of their children????). He thinks that many of them feel the same way he does--that G-d' intended for us to be together. I am sure you can picture the tears streaming down my face.

The BEST part of the evening, however, was when Dorrie and Karen called me on my Ethiopian cell to say hello. Jacob and Hope were playing in the background and I felt the love and miss them all so much. I can’t wait to bring Bami into our little Denver circle and it makes me so happy to know that they are all waiting for her with great anticipation.

Rahel and Mengistu were happily hanging with a sleeping Bami when I got home. Turns out that when I am not here, little TBK is not as much of a sleeper as a player.

A few pics from our full and fun day.







Love from Addis,
--Jen and Tali Bamlak

No comments:

Post a Comment