Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Eating Through Addis

Morning departure:



The Embassy was as crowded as I have ever seen it today--standing room only-- I guess because yesterday was a holiday.  One American adoptive mother was there for her Embassy exit interview (lucky lady) and the poor thing got really sick while she was waiting.  When they called her name she was in bathroom vomiting and Jennifer went in to check on her.  She was able to come out for part of the interview but then ran back in the middle.  Jennifer offered her assistance but it was one of those things. 

Jen told her two things:

1).  You will laugh about this someday.
2).  At least she had the cleanly Embassy bathroom to be sick in!

Jen and I felt so sorry for her but also agreed that we would volunteer to vomit all day if it meant we were taking our babies home the next day.

What we learned at the Embassy was pretty good news.  The investigation team that is going out in Feb. to the region is going in EARLY Feb.  That is certainly better than mid-Feb. and much better than late Feb. for sure.  Why is it so far from now, however?  Apparently, because the region (Harar) is considered a region with some danger, it takes a while to arrange all the necessary approvals and permission from the Ethiopian government. 

After the embassy, we went out for a delicious French version of Nile perch at The Cottage with Azeb and the babies.  One of my favorite things about Addis is the wide variety of cuisines and very affordable restaurants and I seem to be slowly working my way through many of them.  Maybe I should change this blog to Eating Through Addis?






Love and Goodnight from Addis,
--Jen and Tali B

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen. I have been reading about your journey every day and can't wait for the next installment. I haven't commented because I am too in awe of the whole thing. Really. You are just amazing. But tonight I saw that photo of Tali B above and just had to tell you how incredibly precious she is. You are both so lucky to have found each other. I hope you both get home soon and will definitely come to Denver to visit! love, cousin Debbie

    ReplyDelete