Jen and I went to the U.S. Embassy today to be squeaky wheels and to get updates on our cases. Unfortunately, the news was not reassuring at all.
Apparently there are 8 cases, including ours, of babies abandon in the same general region around the same time which has raised the suspicion of the U.S Embassy. As a result, it is further investigating each of those 8 cases. When Evan Elliot told us this, my heart sank. I told him that I had plans to leave Ethiopia on the 24th and asked him if that is at all realistic and he said, no, that it is not likely. On the other hand, he had no alternative time-frame to offer us. Last week Evan said 2-4 weeks. Although he SAID nothing today to contradict that, my fear is that it could be longer….much longer. 8 individual cases sounds like a lot of ground work to me.
I feel as if I am on a bit of a roller coaster ride. On the one hand, I did not expect this and am really disappointed that we probably won’t be going home with Gary on the 25th, as we had hoped and planned. On the other hand, I am happy that the Embassy is doing everything to investigate and I hope that they find out as much as humanly possible. Waiting is obviously harder when there is no end in sight.
So while the process is pretty much completely out of my hands, I do what I can. I am in touch with Senator Bennet’s adoption aid and with the U.S. State Department adoption desk to keep checking on our case. Neither has, as of yet, provided me with any concrete information but at least it makes me feel as if I am doing SOMETHING so I will continue to bug them. And, of course, I will go back to the Embassy next Thursday for another update.
I am SO SO grateful that I get to spend this precious time with Tali Bamlak. She is thriving and I am HIGH just being with her. I truly cannot get over her—her good nature, her smile, her giggle, her cute little new tooth, those cheeks, and how incredibly delicious and sweet she is. She is truly awe inspiring and pure joy.
In the meantime, Jen and I are keeping each other company. With the awesome duo of sisters Azeb and Rahel watching the babies, tonight we saw a cute Italian film with English subtitles next door at the Italian Cultural Institute, followed by a tasty spaghetti dinner (appropriately).
Thank you to all of you who are following our journey. It TRULY helps to know that we have a village out there routing for us and we can use all of the positive energy that you can muster!
Love from Addis,
--Jen and Tali B
Jen-
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and Tali and praying for a quick investigation. Heart wrenching for all of you, I know. The roller coaster ride has just begun...it's called being a mom! Welcome to motherhood. You will continue to have find the strength to get through this period and many more to follow. Shabbat Shalom,
Joanne
I think of you all the time and hope you are well. I'm so sorry to hear about your disappointing news. I was sure you were coming home by February. I guess Violet/Betselot is one of those 8 cases. That makes me very sad. Let's just hope the information comes quickly and everything gets resolved ASAP. BTW, I am collecting for Biftu. My friens at work are organizing a baby shower for me. I'm asking for donations for Biftu instead of gifts. I'll send you whatever I get. Maybe between both of us, we can get them what they need. Anyway, please let me know if there is anything I can send you. If bthere is anything I can send to help ease the waiting, I will be glad to do it. All the best to you and Bami.
ReplyDelete